There are a variety of reasons people experience hair loss: medical issues, cancer treatment, the aging process, trichotillomania, alopecia, a side effect of medications, hormonal issues, thyroid disease, and even stress.
Supporting a loved one through medical hair loss is vital to their self-esteem and recovery.
It can be a very traumatic time. Here are some ways you can help your loved one cope with their loss.
1. Listen and emphasize with their feelings – A woman who experiences medical hair loss is grieving. Give them the time and space to process those feelings. Acknowledge the magnitude of her loss and let her know it is okay to mourn.
2. Prepare yourself ahead of time – The first time you see your loved one that is losing their hair, it can be upsetting. Follow their lead in how to respond. Your loved one may feel self-conscious or want to cry. Remember, you are there to support her.
3. Tell her she is beautiful and brave – All women need to hear they are beautiful and courageous. Women with medical hair loss may struggle to believe a positive view of themselves. Offer your love and encouragement by taking the time not only to tell them how beautiful they are, show them with your time and attention. Let them know they are loved.
4. Talk to them about a support group or individual counseling. – Providing a chance to meet other people who are going through a similar experience can be invaluable. It can help your loved one cope with this new normal. If they are open to it, you can even offer to go with them.
5. Offer to go with her to look at head coverings and wigs – When your loved one is ready, offer to go with her to find her look. Selecting a wig is a very personal thing; a good friend can help. Wigful Thinking Wig Studio offers one-hour complimentary wig consultations free in our Design Studio.
Take your loved one’s hair loss one day at a time.
Some days they may not want to wear any head covering, and other days they may feel more comfortable with a wig or headwrap. Being supportive and patient can help you both cope with the impact of medical hair loss.
Wigful Thinking services a growing market need for a highly personalized approach to non-medical, non-surgical hair augmentation solutions for those driven by fun, fashion, convenience, or medical hair loss.
Contact us to schedule a free consultation. We will answer all your questions and help you understand what to expect.