Wig Care Tips for Human Hair Wigs. Buying a human hair wig is not the same as buying a skirt or a blouse or any other item that you wear. A wig is an investment in your self-confidence especially if you are going through a medically challenging time. The investment of a wig is worth every penny as you garner strength and courage from deep inside yourself.
In order to care for your investment and make it last, follow these wig care tips for human hair wigs.
- Wash your wig but not too much. Just like the hair that grows from your own head needs to be washed, so does the human hair wig. Generally, you should wash your human hair wig every 7-14 days. More often and you will wear the wig out. It’s best to use wig shampoo, but you could also use a very mild shampoo like the ones that are created for hair that has been color treated.
- Condition after washing. Conditioning keeps the hair looking soft and prevents tangles from happening. You can use bottled conditioner or coconut or argan oil. When the human hair wig is still wet from a wash, use your fingers to gently comb the conditioner through the ends of the strands of hair. Keep the conditioner away from the base of the wig. Let the conditioner sit for five to ten minutes, then rinse with cold water. Rinsing with cold water helps the cuticle soak in all the conditioning elements.
- Gently dry the human hair wig after washing. Soak up the excess water with a towel but do not rub the wig in the towel which will cause tangles. Set the human hair wig on a wig form and allow the wig to dry naturally. If needed, you can use blow dryer preferably after applying a heat treatment protective spray.
- Get curly. While the human hair wig is still damp, use foam rollers to give your wig a curly look. For gentle waves, you can braid the hair and then undo the braids when the hair is dry.
- Be careful when using heat for styling. Heat wears out the wig, so use heating tools sparingly. Wait until the human hair wig is completely dry before styling with heat. Keep the heat tools away from the base of the wig so as not to damage it and cause the hair to start falling out of the wig.
- Wear a wig cap under your human hair wig. A wig cap soaks in the natural oils from your scalp or your own hair, if you have any. Using a wig cap prolongs the life of your human hair wig since it keeps your wig clean for longer.
- Use dry shampoo. You can use dry shampoo in between water washes to keep the wig clean. Use the dry shampoo inside the wig where it comes in contact with your head.
- Use a special wig pick or a wig brush. Brush with care to get the tangles out. If the wig is curly, do not use a brush. That will result in a wig full of frizz! Wait until the hair is completely dry before brushing so as not to stress the hair strands or the base of the wig.
- Protect the wig from your workout. If you are headed for the gym, tie your wig up to protect the human hair wig from dirt and oils.
- Store your wig with care. Use a wig head for your human hair wig when it is not on your head. Do not just lay it down on the dresser. Keep it away from sunlight. Many customers have a place for their wigs inside a closet.
- Sleep with satin. If you want to sleep with your human hair wig on, use a satin pillowcase and also tie up your hair with a satin scarf.
Purchasing and taking care of a wig can be overwhelming.
Give yourself a personal shopping experience when you call for an appointment at Wigful Thinking. We will work together to find the wig that is best for you. We will give you what you need to be able to care for your wig at home. Wigful Thinking is here for you.